Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hold the Ketchup, BK

                                   
Source: nrn.com


Hot Digitity Dog. Burger King has added grilled hot dogs to their menu, answering the various additions to competitors lineups, including Taco Bell's Quesalupa. This is not a new idea to American burger joints. McDonald's tried selling hot dogs about ten years ago, only to be deeply criticized for the effort. In fact, I remember asking my mom for one while we were in the drive-thru but she wouldn't get it for me. I wonder why. 

                                   
Source: Enkivillage.com

Thank you Mom for saving my insides and my eyes. Holy cow that looks horrible. Not to mention, it has ketchup on it. Go ahead, call me a Chicago snob. I will not eat a hot dog with ketchup on it and haven't since I was about 12 years old. Which brings me to my concern about the Burger King "Grilled Dog." It has ketchup on it! I honestly don't remember the last time I had to specifically ask for no ketchup while ordering a hot dog. Just ask for everything and expect heaven. Not at Burger King.
                                             
                                               My hot dog from Burger King

After asking BK to hold the ketchup, I received my grilled hot dog from the young woman in the drive-thru. I drove home and showed my roommates what I had gotten. They seemed to be a little confused that I was even going to try the hot dog from the fast food joint. Not only did I try it, the hot dog actually wasn't bad. The grilled taste, found in Burger King's burgers, is definitely in the dog and was pretty tasteful. The onions and relish tasted fresh and made for a pretty good late night snack. The bun did seem a little stale though. Overall, a pretty nice job for a place that has no business selling hot dogs. 

Price: $1.99      (Not too bad)

Grade: B
                                               

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I saw the commercial for this and thought it was a train wreck in the making, but looks like BK made a sneaky move.

    The thing is tho, would you order one of those over a Whopper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks alright. Still is a little crazy to me we have to ask for it without ketchup! Cool move to expand the menu to other options! Need to get new ideas on the menu to have the competitive edge. It is on my try list that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony,

    Doesn't it seem odd to you that Burger King is trying to venture out to a market in which they don't specialize in? If McDonald's was ridiculed when they they tried to sell hotdogs, how long do you think before it'll happen to BK - or do you think it even will? Personally I haven't seen any advertising for this new product launch, so how did you hear about it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean... did you have to say no ketchup or everything but no ketchup? We're not in Chicago, and in the rest of the world, everything includes ketchup. More importantly, was it an all-beef frank? It's not worth eating if it's not all-beef.

    ReplyDelete